International Conference on Information & Communication Technology for the Muslim World (ICT4M) is a conference that gathers academicians, researchers, practitioners, professionals and students to address the challenges of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) within the Muslim world. ICT has been identified as a critical entity that is crucial and pervasive in our daily life for conducting relevant activities and task. The use of ICT can improve the effectiveness and productivity at work places and homes. ICT must be seen as a strength that complements our role and responsibilities as leaders, professionals, workers and students of Islam. Information is needed to effectively perform teaching, learning and delivering Da’wah, and its practical implementation. Thus, ICT and its infrastructure should be considered as a factor in the equation of our duties in all aspects of life: in the organizations, schools and mosques. The main Islamic principles should be taken as guidelines for laying the foundation of Islamic code of practices in ICT.
This conference has been conducted five times with the latest location in Kuching, Sarawak on 17th – 19th November 2014. A year before that, ICT4M is conducted in Rabat, Morocco on 25th to 27th March 2013. ICT4M 2013 was co-organized between the Kulliyyah of Information and Communication Technology (KICT) and Islamic Educational, Scientific and Cultural organization (ISESCO). Prior to Morocco, the ICT4M 2010 was conducted in Jakarta, preceded by Kuala Lumpur in 2006. The first ICT4M was conducted at IIUM in 2001. The conference was then known as International Conference on Information System and Islam (ISI2001), held from 5th-7th Nov 2001. To date, more than 500 ICT scholars have attended ICT4M from countries around the world. The conference provides a forum for ICT professionals engaging in research and development, sharing ideas, interacting with others, presenting their latest works, and strengthening the collaboration between them and the Muslim Scholars.
Next year the ICT4M 2016 conference will be conducted on 22nd – 24th November 2016 in Syarif Hidayatullah State Islamic University Jakarta. It will be hosted by KICT as the main organizer with these co-organizers:
- Faculty of Computer Science and Mathematics, Universiti Islam Negeri, Syarif Hidayatullah Jakarta, Indonesia
- School of Science & Engineering, AlAkhawayn University, Morocco
- National Higher School of IT (ENSIAS), Mohamed Souissi University, Morocco
- IEEE Indonesia
- CENTRIS, IIUM
Since its inception ICT4M Conference aims to:
- Integrate knowledge to explore research opportunity in intra-disciplinary studies using ICT.
- Explore ways to use ICT to serve the Ummah at large through facilitating contacts and cooperation by building bridges towards a comprehensive cooperation.
- Adapt Islamic values and work towards the establishment of standards through Islamic foundations in various fields of ICT.
- Establish contemporary view of Islamic courses at the educational institutions by incorporating ICT in teaching and learning.
- Establish a forum among Muslims scholars, academician and industrialists in promoting ICT companies among local and international participants.